Thursday 4 April 2013

Berlin: Part 1


Guten Tag! Apologies for my recent disappearance from the blogging world, but I jetted (makes flying Ryanair sound much more sophisticated) off to Berlin during the very early hours of Good Friday morning with my boyfriend for a bit of an Easter break and I thought I would give myself a break from computers for a while too (obvs, jumped onto Twitter and Bloglovin as soon as I was home, but the break was good).

I thought I would do a series of my travels in Berlin and share some snaps from the six days with you all in case you are thinking of going or just want a peek! I will spread these posts out, so I don't bore you with the Berlin hype too much, but here's a few bits and pieces from the first few days:



We arrived to snow falling and caught a bus to where we needed to go to reach our hotel...kinda. We didn't realize for some reason that the underground was right next to the airport and blissfully unaware of this we hopped on this random bus that took us on a pretty scenic route to the centre (we also only paid 1.40 Euro by accident because we think we were suppose to get off a lot sooner and not at the last stop - oops).

Eventually, we made it to the hotel which was the Adina Apartment Hotel near Hauptbahnhof station which we were both really happy with! The hotel is like a mini apartment/suite with a bedroom, bathroom and lounge/kitchen and diner and it's all really modern and the staff were very helpful etc. We decided to get an apartment so we could save some money on breakfast and so we didn't have to wake up for it too. It's still like a hotel though, so it's like having a flat with a cleaner who cleans everyday - something I could get used to!




The rest of the first day was a bit of a boring one I guess, we got our bearings, stocked up on food, ate a lot of our food and watched the film 'Savages' before getting some sleep ready for a big day of sightseeing or 'getting our Berlin on' as I kept saying for some reason....

Day 2

Feeling fresher, relaxed and in holiday mode we went to the city zoo (there are two, this one is in zoolischer garten) because wherever there are cool animals, Alex has to go and see them. The zoo had pretty much every animal you can think of, which was amazing to see, especially so up close.

"I don't think y'all ready for this jelly" 



However, we both felt like the animals were a bit cramped and not in the best enclosures, which wasn't so amazing. Everything was in German at the zoo pretty much, so it was hard to tell whether they were on any breeding programmes etc or if they were there forever. We weren't fans to be honest, but would love to know what you thought if you have been? This guy pretty much summed it up! (I have censored his modesty. Not that he cares as he was just letting it all hang low...)





After the zoo we went to The Hard Rock Cafe, which I just love. I've been to quite a few now and started collecting the cocktail glasses a little while ago, so added to my collection a little further after indulging on a HUGE burger and fries.




We then wandered around some shops where we went in this crazy 'it's always Christmas shop' which was pretty cool and then sauntered back to the hotel for a cuppa and some Toffifee which I had never had before - pretty amazing hazelnutty goodness.



In the eve we headed out for some more cocktails, which was a bit of an ordeal at the beginning because we went the wrong way for a while and ended up in the freezing snow alongside the Berlin Wall in the pitch black. It was like we were trying to re-enact a scene from the war as there was nobody else to be seen as we hurriedly walked by the wall wondering how we ended up in such a sketchy place with prison like buildings.






After that experience though we did make it to where we thought we were headed before which was full of life (thank gawd) and cheap strong cocktails. A few Long island ice teas later, we went to some underground indie rock bar (loads of the bars are underground) which was really chilled and full of cool people (and me and Alex). We stumbled back in the early hours, made a chip butty and hit the sack.

Those were my first two days in Berlin! I will continue with the rest over the coming weekend/week, so keep an eye out if you are interested.

Something I know a lot of you are interested in is my blog giveaway winner, so without further a due, drum roll.....golden envelope....dramatic pause (plus other cliché award moments), the winner is the beautiful Hannah over at Which Way To Wonderland? Congratulations! Thanks to everyone who entered, major chuffed with the response to the giveaway.

On a final note, it's my birthday next Thurs (11th) so please send all gifts to Emma...kidding (sort of). I will be doing some b day related posts and beauty stuff though, so keep an eye out for those too!


18 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect trip! I went to Berlin in December when the Christmas markets were on and I absolutely loved it! It snowed whilst I was there too. It looked so pretty!

    Did you try any of the German foods? Like Bratwurst or currywurst?

    www.amodernminute.co.uk
    Amy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oo two of my friends went then and it looked so pretty! They still had some german market stalls (i think they heart christmas a lot). I didn't have any of the sausages, but Alex had a currywurst which I think he will put down as 'an experience' haha xo

      Delete
  2. This trip sounds like so much fun!
    How cool are those cuckoo clocks!?
    Oh, and you're beanie is super cute too :)
    Looking forward to hearing more about how you 'got your Berlin on'
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Apparently you weren't suppose to take pictures in that shop, but I slyly snapped away... x

      Delete
  3. Love this! I really want to visit Berlin too, can't wait to read more.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should! I will definitely go back, it's one of those places you can keep visiting and not get bored of fo sho x

      Delete
  4. Berlin's been on my to visit list since for ever!! You obviously had a great time, even though got lost alongside the Berlin Wall in the dark.:D Thank god, there was a tasty reward afterwards.;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah this is so typical me! I actually have bronze, silver and gold Duke of Edinburgh awards, so it's shameful that I get lost really (I should probably formally apologize to the Duke of Edinburgh and hand back my awards haha). The cocktails went down a treat! x

      Delete
  5. Berlin has got to be one of the best cities I have been to. I'd forgotten how much great/ odd graffiti it has until this post! Can't wait for more Berlin in any future posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite surprised by how much graffiti there was, but it worked with the vibe of the city in a strange way! I totally agree with you, I will be going back I'm sure. Thanks for reading :) next part soon! x

      Delete
  6. I would love to go to Berlin one day, it just looks like such a cool city! Happy early birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) and you should go I'm sure you would enjoy it x

      Delete
  7. So lovely, Bet you had a really nice time there!!

    Pipp xx
    http://pippjones281190.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice Pippa! I sound like I work for their tourism board atm haha x

      Delete
  8. Lovely pictures and isnt Berlin such an amazing city :)

    vanityrail.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a cool place! Itching to go again with a big group of friends now x

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Ahhh love that you visited my blog! xo

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...